Welcome to the Talisman Music website, featuring musician and teacher Carl Thor, the Celtinalia harp/dulcimer duo, contra dance bands Hands4 and Cascade Crossing, and the Celtic group Talisman. In addition, you will find a variety of products in our web store, and information about our teaching, sound engineering and composition services, as well as events we are promoting. We also host the web site for Vancouver's monthly 2nd Friday contra dance, Contra in the Couve!
See our Calendar for more of our events.
- Friday, May 13, 7:30 lesson, 8 pm dance, at Hazel Dell Grange, 7509 NE Hazel Dell Ave., Vancouver, WA:
Contra in the Couve! 2nd Friday dance; music by The Hat Band with Noah Grunzweig calling.
- Saturday, May 14, 7:30 pm lesson, 8 pm dance, at Fulton CC, 68 SW Miles, Portland OR:
Cascade Crossing, celebrating our 10th year, plays for the PCDC 2nd Saturday contra dance, with Noah Grunzweig calling.
- Saturday, May 21, 7:30 pm lesson, 8 pm dance, at FCC Gatton Hall, 4515 SW West Hills Rd., Corvallis, OR:
Hands4 plays, with Eric Curl calling, for the Corvallis 3rd Saturday contra dance.
- Friday, May 27, ~4 pm:
Hammered Dulcimer workshop with Carl Thor in Olympia.
Private lessons also available earlier in the day in Olympia.
- Sunday, May 29, 12 noon:
Hands4 plays, with Laurel Thomas calling, for contra dancing in Warren's Roadhouse at the NW Folklife Festival.
Wild Geese and the Full Moon, a piano piece composed and performed by Carl Thor, is now available for download at CDBaby
See video of Carl Thor and Carolyn Cruso at a house concert in Olympia, Nov. 9, 12014.
Manzanita Morning, composed and performed by Carl Thor, is now available for download at CDBaby
See video of Carl Thor in a house concert at Lake Oswego, OR, Apr. 10, 2014.
See video of Carl Thor and Carolyn Cruso in a house concert at Oysterville, WA, Oct. 20, 2013.
See video of Talisman playing for flash mob contra dance in Vancouver, WA, Sep. 7, 2013.
See video of Cascade Crossing at the Northwest Folklife Festival, May 25, 2013.
No Caravan of Despair, music by Carl Thor and the Talisman Digital Symphony Orchestra, is now available for download. Lush and exotic, this four part suite evokes images of desert caravans and celebrations under the starlit sky. Find it at CDBaby or the iTunes Store.
You can stream more of our music projects on our SoundCloud page. Check it out!
We are again offering hammered dulcimer workshops and lessons occasionally in Olympia. Private lessons always available in Portland/Vancouver for hammered dulcimer or piano. Contact us for more info.
Contra dance in Vancouver, WA, at Contra in
the Couve!, held on the second Friday of every month at the
Hazel Dell Grange, 7509 NE Hazel Dell Ave. This fine, roomy dance hall has a great
wood dance floor and an easy-to-access location just a few blocks from I-5.
Come dance with us in Vancouver! Lesson at 7:30pm, dance at 8:00pm. More info here.
Special note for Portland contra dancers: Contra in the Couve is just 4 freeway miles from the Interstate Bridge, and no passport or security check is required for entry into Washington state!
Featured Products in our Web Store
- Deep Peace for SATB choir: Sheet music for a beautiful Irish Blessing, by Sara Martin & Carl Thor.
- Come to the Dance Hall, Second Edition: A collection
of 107 melodies for Diverse Musical Instruments, Suitable for use in Country
Dancing and Related Pastimes
Newly revised and expanded tune book by Carl Thor.
- New instrument and angel ornaments from Tewksbury Ornaments - 6 new designs!
Harp, guitar, violin, angel with harp, angel with trumpet, angel with violin.
- Hammered Dulcimer ornament, hand-crafted by Tewksbury Ornaments - a Talisman Music exclusive!
Spring Fling Rendezvous
This year's Dulcimer Rendezvous was a great event, with Marina Albero, Sam & Joe Herrmann,
and Ruth Smith, along with the usual staff of Northwest talents, and a panel of experts to demonstrate three dulcimer
family relatives: psalterio, cimbalom, and santoor.
Mark your calendar for next year: Thursday April 27 - Sunday April 30, 2017.
Visit nwdulcimer.com for more information.
Portland Dulcimer Jam
The Portland Dulcimer Jam has gone on hiatus. What is really needed is one or more lead and backup players,
especially a bass, guitar, or keyboard, to lead the jam and provide steady rhythm for the group, and a central location
that is comfortable, welcoming, and free.
Services offered by Talisman Music
- Music for stage shows, weddings, parties, and other events
- Music for contra dancing, English Country dancing, family dancing, waltz
Recordings, Published Music and Other Products,
available through our Web Store
- Recordings by Talisman Music artists and others
- Sheet music and tunebooks by Carl Thor, Hank Laramee, and others
- The Portland Collection tune books and CDs
- Hand-crafted hammered dulcimer ornament and other music themed ornaments
Composition and Arranging
- Original music for folk dancing, special occasions, film and video, etc.
- Music arranging and production of lead sheets, scores, and parts for your music
- Live sound reinforcement, specializing in contra dances and small-scale acoustic music events
- Studio recording, specializing in acoustic music projects, song demos, MIDI, and digital transfer from tapes or vinyl records
- Private lessons and group classes in hammered dulcimer and piano
- Hammered dulcimer instruction materials
- Assistance with setup and troubleshooting of your computer, MIDI, and digital recording applications
- Minor repairs of hammered dulcimers